Get Adobe Flash player

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Done Working My Tickets!

My last update on my Wood Badge progress was back in February.  At that point I had completed two ticket items, they were starting a Venturing Crew, which for those that do not know, Venturing is a co-ed Scouting program offered to those 14-21.  This was my diversity item.  I was prompted to make this one for selfish reasons, although they have benefited my community.  My daughter had turned 14 in January and after years with the Girl Scouts and watching her older brother go through the Boy Scout program she was itching for some of the adventure offered in Boy Scouts.  That item was a bit challenging, gathering up the required members.  The Venturing program, in my opinion, has the ability to see substantial growth but that has yet to materialize in the small communities where we live and work.  

My second ticket item was organizing a Merit Badge University.  A Merit Badge University is an opportunity for Boy Scouts to come and work on a variety of merit badges not traditionally covered in a summer camp setting, where many youth in our area earn their badges.  I wanted it to be different, however, with no Eagle Scout required merit badges.  Instead, I wanted to bring back the concept of working on merit badges for fun, and to possibly develop a hobby or career for their rest of their lives.  Steven Spielberg earned his Cinematography merit badge in the Boy Scouts and that fueled his passion and, some would say, successful career in movies.

Both of those items came and went, they happened, I wrote up my progress notes, supplied verification and photographs to my ticket counselor, also my Troop Guide, as per instructions from the course.

The third item, the STEM Camporee I discussed in February, went off with only a few hitches a couple weeks ago.  Last week I finished up working on and getting approved a Cub Scout Pack Operations Manual.  And today, finally, after 9 months of serving as a Unit Commissioner in my District, I was able to procure an e-mail verifying my work from our District Commissioner.  I waited to submit my Operations Manual ticket item until a few hours ago and now I will submit my last ticket item.

This however does not mean my journey is over, but rather just beginning.  My goal is to leave a legacy behind. And I haven't quite finished doing that yet.

Baden's Rowdy Beavers
C3-312-14-1

No comments:

Post a Comment